Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving Memories....The Smell of the Holiday...

As a child I had two found memories of Thanksgiving, the first was the fact I had a couple of days off of school which was always a plus and the best thing about the Thanksgiving Holiday in my book. The second was being woken up by the aroma of my fathers cooking.

I can remember laying in my bed smelling the wonderful aroma of good food cooking. My father must have gotten up at the crack of dawn to start cooking. I would drag my lazy butt out of the bed and out to the living room where my parents would have the TV so we would not miss the parade. Our big dinner would be early afternoon. After dinner the football game would be watched. Football was a staple at my house and one that I have not ever gotten into. Our Thanksgivings always consisted of my siblings and their families. We never had any other family members over.

My family stopped celebrating Thanksgiving as a family when my farther passed away. Now its time for our own traditions to start. Hmmm what can we do.....

I haven't thought of any real cool ideas as of yet, but I'm sure I can and it will be better then the hotdogs we had for the big day one year. I have never been a big fan of the parades, football or turkey. Yes, I'm American just not much into the day. I like to focus on the day as the day of giving thanks for everyone and all the great blessing that have been bestowed upon me.

Now Anessa does the cooking and we help her. Hopefully someday it will become a great fun family tradition of having huge gathering of families and friends. The day will be filled with love, laughter, smiles, hugs and being thankful for the great life we all have. My thought to being one step closer to being deliriously happy.

1 comment:

Fiona said...

The smell of Thanksgiving is what I remember most. Your vision of Thanksgiving is similar to my own....

new follower from MBC - come visit me!

Search This Blog

Total Pageviews